FREE VIDEO RECORDING SESSIONS: Available on a first come first served basis- Nov 12+13 from 12pm-2pm. Sessions booked in 20 minute slots starting on the hour. Please email email@example.com to reserve a spot. Kindly send your name, contact number and fist two choices of times.
2011 Emerging Artist Guidelines
Bowery Arts + Science, the multi-arts nonprofit organization sited at the Bowery Poetry Club, is pleased to announce the launch of Stakeholders Choice, a competition to discover, develop and present emerging NYC-based poets of great promise.
Stakeholders Choice is open to performance and page-oriented poets alike. After an open call for submissions, eight poets will be selected to hone their craft, advance their careers and develop their work into performances for presentation at the Bowery Poetry Club before live audiences in January 2012. Performances will be simultaneously web cast and winners will receive honorarium. In addition, Bowery Arts + Science will provide each of the Stakeholders Choice winners with individual 2-hour presentation tutorials with Taylor Mali, and the chance to attend a marketing strategy session with marketing guru Jessica Delfino.
After presenting their work in January of 2012, one poet from among the eight winners will be chosen to receive individual, professional mentoring for developing a feature-length, one-person show to be presented in August 2012. Bowery Books, Bowery Arts + Science’s publishing arm, will produce, edit and market the winning poet’s DVD and the poet will receive fifteen copies.
Stakeholders Choice is funded by a grant from the Jerome Foundation, St. Paul, MN, with additional support from the NYC Department of Cultural Affairs. A volunteer panel of Bowery Arts + Science and Bowery Poetry Club stakeholders will judge the competition, hence the project title, Stakeholders Choice.
The most important criterion is that the poet’s work shows potential. Applicants should be recognized locally and regionally and have published or presented work in recognized publications/venues. Their work should demonstrate skill and unique stylistic vision.
Please note: Bowery Arts + Science is committed to supporting a diverse and inclusive selection of emerging poets in this project.
• Must be eighteen years of age and older and resident of New York City, any of the five boroughs;
• Cannot be enrolled in a full-time degree granting writing program, have major recording or performing contracts or be represented by major management;
• May have limited national recognition, though not a national reputation;
• Working in printed form must have up to five publication credits, or no more than 2 books. If chapbooks, the print run should be no more than three hundred copies;
• Working in the oral tradition, must have performed as a featured reader/performer in a recognized poetry series.
Deadline for Submissions: November 30, 2011 at 11:59pm
Stakeholders Choice Emerging Artist Application